Your Next Chapter Is Waiting.
We’re Here To Guide You To It

Obtaining Post-Divorce Modifications In Tennessee

The papers have all been signed, and every big decision is taken care of. You breathe a sigh of relief, anticipating your fresh start, but what happens when a situation arises where there has been such a significant and material change in circumstances that you may need to modify the terms of your Marital Dissolution Agreement or Parenting Plan?

Fortunately, the modification process doesn’t have to be as confusing as it seems. Whether you need a custody modification or revised alimony orders, Martin Sir & Associates are here for you and prepared to tackle your case with dedication and competency.

Petitioning The Court For Your Modification

Life happens, and courts understand this. Child custody, child support and alimony orders can all be modified under certain circumstances. There is no amount of time that must pass before you request a modification, but the court does need to see that a significant and material change in your circumstances has occurred that was not anticipated or contemplated at the time of the Final Decree of Divorce.

Any of the following events may qualify you to receive modified post-divorce orders:

  • Relocation of either parent
  • Increase or decrease in one parent’s income
  • Neglect or abuse of a minor child
  • Preference of the child, based on their age
  • Serious health problems that affect you or your spouses’ ability to comply with the financial terms of your divorce

When To Pursue A Child Support Modification

Child support can be modified only if there is a “significant variance” in the paying parent’s finances.

A significant variance is defined as any of the following:

  • A change that causes at least a 15% change in the child support order
  • A change in the number of children for whom the supporting parent is responsible for
  • The child being supported becomes disabled
  • Both parties volunteer to modify the support order

Examples of circumstances where a modification may be appropriate include:

  • Change in the co-parenting schedule
  • A child reaches majority
  • Loss of job
  • Significant increase or decrease in the cost of child care or health insurance for the child

We know that every family and every circumstance is different. Meet with us either in person or remotely to determine when and how to pursue a modification.

We Deliver Real Results

Our clients have benefited from Attorney Martin Sir’s legal counsel for over 40 years. Find out for yourself why the service we provide just can’t be duplicated. Call 615-813-4355, text 615-218-7131 or contact us online today!